Onlonging

 

"The souvenir speaks to a context of origin through a language of longing"

Experiencing someone is one of the greatest gifts God gave man. But one of the greatest pains is the loss that comes with the knowing someone. Loss can occur by death or the cutting of ties within any kind of relationship. What remains are the memories in your head that slowly begin to fade with the years. But sometimes the process of losing someone is what teaches us to cherish moments we create in the present. But me, I'm forever stuck in the past missing her. 






"The souvenir exists as a sample of the now distant experience that only the object can evoke"


Would you be able to choose a cover photo for one of the darkest and loneliest periods of your life? Luke Skywalker had a promising life before his fall and he had everything to be grateful for but the desire of power corrupted him, causing him to lose his wife his new kin and most importantly himself. Power is sometimes pursued to prevent loss or evade the pain it could potentially come with. I've always wanted to be in control of my life and others and it ultimately pushed me over into the abyss of loss.














"The souvenir reduces the public, the monumental and the 3dim into the miniature that which can be enveloped by the body"

This was a moment in time where I was seeing something in everything. I was inspired and saw art in everything. Flagler had recently taken a TV down from the wall in the student center and the glue was left behind on the wall. Staring at it for a while I got to see a cinnamon bun, a racetrack and a banana laying down holding a lasso. Haha, it's amazing how the imagination works. 





"Nostalgia cannot be sustained without loss"


When shopping one day I looked over my shoulder and saw the number 56. The address of the first place I ever lived when I moved off campus was 56 Carrera St. and I think living in that house were the most memorable times I;ve ever had in college. From the people I met in the house and the experiences I had in it. 








"The place of origin must remain unavailable in order for desire to be generated"

Being from Delaware the best time for me is the fall. Not only because I get to wear my sweaters and layer clothes but because the waves and the solitude are amplified so much more. Tourists aren't in town, the mornings are foggy and gratitude is in the air. I haven't been home for a consistent amount of time for a long time now and I miss it terribly. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Touch Response Assignment

Figurative bust sculpture